Frequently Asked Questions

Parking Citations

I have lost my parking citation, how do I pay without my citation number?

If the citation was issued by the City of Riverside, we can look up your citation information with the license plate number, the VIN number, or the registered owner’s name. You can call us at (951) 826-5620.

I received a parking citation but no longer own the vehicle, am I still responsible for the parking citation?

Yes, if you were the registered owner at the time the vehicle was cited, you are responsible. If you can provide proof of your release of liability that is filed with DMV, the citation will be removed and changed over to the new registered owner.

Can I request an extension on my citation?

Extensions may be granted on a case-by-case basis and are more commonly issued for correctable citations such as Expired Registration, Tab Missing, or License Plate Missing. Applicable laws apply to all parking citations.

What are the rules about parking on street sweeping days?

Please visit the street sweeping website for details.

My car broke down and I cannot move it, will I still receive a citation on street sweeping day?

If you are in the designated No Parking on Street Sweeping area, yes the vehicle is subject to a citation and should be moved as quickly as possible.

Who can I speak to about my citation?

You can call Parking Services at (951) 826-5620 to address any questions about your parking citation. You can also submit in writing your statement indicating why you believe the citation was issued in error by following the instructions on the back of your citation.

I want to contest my citation. What do I do?

Please submit your appeal electronically here ( or by submitting the Parking Fine Contest Form in person or by mail. Be sure to include a copy of the citation and any documents that support your statement (including pictures).

Parking Lots, Garages & Meters

Where can I park downtown and receive a validation from the City if I am doing business at City Hall?

Lot 34 located off Tenth and Main Streets as well as other City-owned parking structures, which offer the first 90 minutes free. Also, after 5pm and weekends parking is free in the downtown area. The Downtown Parking Guide has additional information for parking downtown.

There is a vehicle parked illegally (in a red zone, a permitted area with no permit, in a No Parking zone; can the City come out and cite the vehicle?

Yes, if the vehicle is parked illegally the vehicle could be cited. You can call the 311 Call Center to report any parking violations.

The parking meter is broken, do I have to pay? What do I do? Will I receive a parking citation if I park there anyway?

If a meter is broken it is suggested that you park elsewhere. If there is a note on the meter you should be okay to park there without being cited. You could receive a citation if the meter has not been reported as having a problem.

Do I have to pay for metered parking if I have valid Handicapped Placard?

Metered parking is free to handicapped vehicles with proper placard or plate

Do I have to pay when I come downtown after business hours?

Lots and meters are free after 5 p.m. Monday-Fri, and all day on weekends, except on Thur-Sat nights from 9 p.m. through 3 a.m. and other event days

I Why didn't I get change when paid the parking meter?

There are no refunds and no change given for meter transactions.

72 Hour Limits for Parking

If your vehicle has been towed due to 72 hour storage, contact the Riverside Police Department’s Traffic Division at (951) 826-5700.

If the citation was issued by the City of Riverside, we can look up your citation information with the license plate number, the VIN number, or the registered owner’s name. You can call us at (951) 826-5620.

I received a 72-hour yellow tag informing me to remove my vehicle or it will be towed. What do I have to do?

According to the California Vehicle Code the vehicle has to be moved a minimum of 800 feet or .2 miles in order for the vehicle to be in compliance.

My vehicle is inoperable and I am unable to remove it from the street. What could happen if my vehicle remains in the same location?

Your vehicle may be towed. The California Vehicle Code 22651(k) covers operation and inoperable vehicles from 72 hour storage on-street.

Is there an exception for Recreational Vehicles?

No. Any Recreational Vehicle falls within the same category as regular vehicles.

Commercial Vehicle Parking

Can commercial trucks park in residential streets? If not, where can they park?

It is unlawful to park a commercial vehicle in a residential area unless they are loading or unloading. Commercial vehicles can park only where signs are posted indicating commercial vehicle parking authorized. If you would like more information on where commercial vehicles can park, please see the Commercial Vehicle Parking Guide.

To report an illegally parked commercial vehicle contact (951) 826-5311.

Parking for Disabled Persons

Who handles complaints or issues with disabled persons parking spaces in business parking lots around town?

Disabled persons parking spaces are governed by the State of California and citations are issued to vehicles not displaying the proper placard. To report a vehicle parked without a disabled persons placard, call (951) 826-5311. To report non-compliant spaces (including missing signs or repainting the stall and access zone), please contact the City of Riverside Community Development – Building and Safety Division at (951) 826-5697.

My disabled persons placard was not visible and I was given a parking ticket. What do I do now?

Within 21 days of receiving the citation, please submit a copy of the disabled persons placard, the disabled persons placard registration, and photo ID by mail, in person, or at the website listed on the back of the citation. Upon verification of your placard registration, the citation will either be reduced to a $25 administrative fee (per CVC 40226) or dismissed depending on the parking violation. To report your placard lost or stolen you should contact the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) right away.

My handicap placard fell out of the window and I was given a parking ticket. What do I do now?

You should contact the Department of Motor Vehicle right away to report your placard lost or stolen. As for the citation it will be either reduced to $23.00 with verification of your placard or it could be dismissed depending on the parking violation.

I’m disabled and have nowhere to park my vehicle on street sweeping day; can I stay parked in front of my home?

Yes, if the handicap placard is visible and properly displayed, a citation will not be issued.

Where can I park using my disabled placard privileges?

A vehicle displaying a valid Disabled Persons placard or license plate may park:

In parking spaces with the International Symbol of Access (wheelchair symbol).

Next to a blue curb authorized for persons with disabilities parking.
Next to a green curb without restrictions to time limits.
In an on-street metered parking space at no charge.
In an area that indicates it requires a residential or preferential permit.

Residential Zone Parking

How can I get more parking signs on my street?

Traffic Engineering is responsible for street signage and can be reached at (951) 826-5366 during normal business hours and you can contact the 311 Call Center .

How do I get additional enforcement on my street or area?

If you have a particular situation on your street and require enforcement, contact the 311 Call Center to request additional enforcement.

What are the rules for parking recreational vehicles, trailers or campers on the street?

Recreational vehicles are allowed to be parked on the street 24 hours before and 24 hours after a trip. The 24 hours is for loading and unloading. Recreational vehicles may NOT be stored on any residential street beyond the allotted time.

I live near a school and students continually park up and down the street even though it's restricted. Can these vehicles receive a citation?

Yes, they are subject to a citation and should be reported to the 311 Call Center.

I am having a party at my house which requires a permit, is it okay for my guests to park in the street?

Yes, enforcement for the day or evening can be suspended. It is recommended that you inform the City of the event by contacting the 311 Call Center after hours. You should also contact your adjacent neighbors so they understand why there is no enforcement.

I have relatives visiting from out of state; can they stay in the RV in front of my home?

Yes, someone may “camp” in the R.V. for no more than 5 days on the street providing there are NO electrical cords running from the R.V. and they do NOT drain any dirty water into the street/gutter. For stays longer than S days, but not more than 15 days, the R.V. must be in the driveway and a Temporary Use Permit (TUP) must be obtained.